February 2, 2015

Our house.



Xavier has a thing for our house. If Colette doesn't know where Papa is, she asks, "Is he brigolage-ing?" Probably so, Colette. He recently finished this bathroom, which is on the 3rd floor, and it was the last bathroom to be done. I love the tiles on the floor and am going to start doing yoga up here - the floor space is big! The truth is, our house is a major project - "evergreen" - as Xavier likes to say - and he is constantly tuning things up, maintaining, improving. Thanks to him and his constancy the house is taking on a life of its own. When we unlock the front door, it envelops us and buffers us, separating our family from the city externally. I've realized with children that having a refuge from a force like New York City is really essential. I have never been a home body. Xavier is much more than I am. Some big fights have circled around the competing priorities of investing money in a house (Xavier) - or investing in travel (me!), but by breathing life into the house, I've learned to roost with the babies and give thanks for our place.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Beautiful job, X. Home can be so wonderful, especially with littles. I love coming to your beautiful home!

Rosie said...

I agree with Jill! Xavier - you are a master - really such an amazing job! I especially love the little model - hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...