August 20, 2014

Lady Colette.



Colette is teaching me all about emotional control (let's just say she has none). She is savage and fresh. There is no filter. She throws things across the room, shouts, wants to hit you and, most of the time, almost does. Her anger stirs up a physical response. I admire it all. I watch adults around me (and myself) and see and feel inoperative anger informing all kinds of behavior, but nobody just lets it out like a 2-year old.

This one is at her zenith, it seems – she is bursting with her own charm, even when she is detonating it. Xavier and I have these moments of exchanging pure mirth experiencing her. She is constantly revealing the world around her – not just reacting to it.

She has an imaginary friend: Bindia (we will have to consult Colette on the spelling of that, when she can spell). She talks about Bindia and updates us on her location at any given moment. I asked her about a scrape on her knee, Bindia is the culprit. Sometimes when Colette doesn’t want to do something, Bindia is the reason because Bindia doesn’t like doing that thing. I think having imaginary friends is a good sign. Ripe creativity.

She is still an effective self-soother. Addressing fears:

Colette: "There are no goats in our house, mama."
Me: "Nope."
Colette: "They are at the farm."

Later - in the bath - where we have a picture of Charlie Chaplin hanging on the wall...

Colette: "Mr. Chaplin is not scared of goats."
Me: "That's a good point, Colette."

Other quotable quotes lately:

(Rubbing her tummy after gagging) “Something is going on with me. My tummy is so brave.”

“Scoot away. I need some space mama.”

“Where my are?” while hiding in bath bubbles (Meaning, “where am I?”)

“I’m your mommy” (While encircling my neck in her chubby grip, comforting me)
(“I’m your papa” or “I’m your Claire,” depending on who is in need of comfort)

“Pren your douche, papa.” (Take your shower, papa with American accent, verb conjugation)

And:
Gugglebum
Waterlemon

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love this so much. Don't tell Colette that we've had a goat in our car. I'm sure it's best if they remain on farms in her mind. I'm just wondering over here which is the more rational fear - goats in the house, or toilets. Someone in this house will not step foot in the bathroom alone. That can get a little awkward.

Jill said...

This age is such a delight. I'm so amused by this fear of goats thing. Love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...