April 20, 2010

Falling...

Xavier was traveling this week and I came home from an eventful evening with plenty of news to tell, called him and started recounting. He was in Kentucky. I finished and he began to tell his things (and I do mean to insist on 'began') because a half an hour later, I was suddenly aware that my feet were in such pain - totally asleep - under me and I was in fetal position on the couch. I was drooling on my phone. I had done the same thing as my feet. In my confused torpor, I looked at my phone and realized all that time had decamped and Xavier had tried to call back several times (my ringer, was of course, off) and...well, how preposterous. I was debilitated by exhaustion. And no, it really was not that what Xavier was saying was fatiguing, per se.

Yes, it is true that I work a normal 9-5 hour work week. Nothing more. Don't fall out of the 9-5 job habit if you ever plan re-entering. Savage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emilie . . . always so wonderful to read your blog - it's a work of art, seriously. The words, photos, images - how you see the world, I guess - it's just all so lovely and I always either learn something from you or just enjoy it and receive a lifting of spirits. Thanks so much for it all! This is just a comment about this post - maybe this is not my place to say but I wonder if that exhaustion is trying to tell you something deeper than just . . . you know . .. than just that it's tiring to go back to a "regular" job. Maybe there's more to it than that. Our bodies, minds, spirits, emotions, etc. communicate with us in various ways, you know? Anyway, best wishes!

Xavier Joly said...

Hypersomnia can be caused by brain damage and disorders such as clinical depression, uremia and fibromyalgia.

Hypersomnia can also be a symptom of other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder. It may also occur as a side effect of taking certain medications (i.e. some psychotropics for depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder), of withdrawal from some medications, or of drug or alcohol abuse.

A genetic predisposition may be a factor.

Emilie said...

Xavier, thank you for your lovely addition.

Anonymous...thank you (sincerely) for yours. My gut tells me similar things. Very thoughtful and heartening...I wish I could tell you all the reasons why.

Jill said...

I can't even tell you how many times I've fallen asleep mid sentence, at night, as I'm telling Mike about my day. Overworked? Probably.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...